Carbogenics is an Edinburgh-based start-up company which produces sustainable carbon adsorbents from difficult to recycle organic waste, including coffee cups and wastewater screenings. The functional carbons enhance anaerobic digestion, remove odours and pollutants from wastewater and can be used as plant fertilizer, for soil amendment and carbon sequestration.
Carbogenics, a spinout company from The University of Edinburgh, brings together experienced scientists and business experts to translate years of research into innovative and sustainable carbon products, known as biochars, for a broad range of applications and markets. Carbogenics works closely with its clients at all stages of implementation of our technology. Our offer includes consultancy, product and process development and operational support.
Carbogenics’ vision is to become a leader in carbon upcycling and soil carbon sequestration for a circular economy future and a greener, cleaner world for everyone.
The majority of Anaerobic Digestion (AD) plants suffer from low performance, operating at only 65% of their full potential.
AD faces multiple problems:
○ Inefficiencies within the AD process, resulting in low yields and reduced revenue.
○ High feedstock cost causing the plant not to work to its full capacity.
○ Poor quality digestate becomes a liability to the business rather than source of revenue.
This leads the AD operators to spend time and money looking for innovative solutions to overcome these problems and increase plant’s efficiency as well as their revenue.
CreChar® is a unique patent-pending additive that brings peak performance to Anaerobic Digestion.
CreChar® is produced using a high temperature, oxygen-limited process called Pyrolysis from low value paper waste, like used paper cups and low-quality paper and cardboard waste.
CreChar® is environmentally friendly, improves soil quality and offers long-term carbon sequestration.
CreChar® addresses multiple issues in the biogas production process and ensures higher gas and digestate quality and increased production efficiency when added to the process.
CreChar® comes in two grades: standard and premium.
The Premium CreChar® is bespoke product tailored to the individual needs of each biogas plant to ensure the top performance.
Carbogenics offers operational service consultancy along CreChar® to provide the AD plant owners with the confidence of the highest possible plant performance.
CreChar is a porous carbon additive, with a unique composition of organic and mineral components, which provides three key benefits:
○ Binding and absorption of inhibitory chemicals (ammonia, H2S) within the process, to create more favourable AD production conditions.
○ Regulation of pH buffering to better stabilise the process.
○ Creating ideal growth conditions for functional and process-enhancing microorganisms
Thanks to its unique properties, CreChar® can increase the stability and efficiency of the biogas production process. We tailor the necessary treatment to the requirements of individual AD plants to provide improvement in biogas yields up to 15%.
Anaerobic Digestion plants convert organic waste like food waste, sewage sludge and farm manure into renewable energy and liquid digestate fertiliser. There are more then 17 000 Anaerobic Digestion plants based in Europe that together produce enough energy to power more than 60 million homes.
We offer consultancy and analytical services for AD operators including comprehensive tests in fully automated lab reactors.
Our CreChar® AD enhancer increases the performance of anaerobic sludge treatment yielding more biogas and reducing the sludge volume. Other sustainable carbons within our product range have shown to increase the efficiency of the activated sludge process and can be used to remove phosphate in the polishing step.
We offer WWTW operators to convert their screening waste into a valuable non-toxic porous carbon adsorbent in a patent-pending process. The adsorbent can be used at the same or other WWTWs to eliminate odours from the wastewater or to remove COD, ammonia and phosphate.
Carbogenics aims to ensure that any spent carbon products can be used as plant fertiliser and soil amender in full accordance with a waste-free circular economy future policy.
We also possess extensive experience in devolving tailored carbons (biochars) for soil amendment and remediation. Exemplary applications are soil restauration, immobilisation of heavy metals and bioaugmented degradation of petroleum hydrocarbons in soils.
Just 60,000 tonnes of CreChar® added to the Anaerobic Digestion plants can save the UK 618,000 tonnes of CO2.
We save carbon at every step of the way:
• Sequestering carbon in CreChar - by using waste as feedstock and applying pyrolysis, we prevent release of many tons of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere, which would be produced during conventional waste incineration. The carbon locked in CreChar® is in a very stable form, which means it is very resistant to being broken down by microorganisms and will not be released into the atmosphere as carbon dioxide for hundreds of years.
• Supporting 20% increase in renewable energy production
• Supporting production of a high-quality natural fertiliser digestate that can be used to substitute chemical fertilisers.